Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Comfortable liberal who buys organic? check.

I have been feeling pretty good about the choices I've made in my life.  Feeling like I'm doing my part to take care of the planet.  Riding my bike to work. Living communally.  Teaching the youth to read and write.  Buying local strawberries, when possible.  And yeah, sure, those are all do-gooder choices that make my existence on this planet slightly less damaging.  I like to argue that in making those choices publicly, we are not just making our impact solo, but gently supporting and encouraging others around us to remember their reusable bags and tupperware.  And I still think that's true.  And I still am proud of those choices.

But this past weekend, a harbinger of what has been my mounting unrest accompanied me on a trip to West Virginia, in the form of a large scruffy trucker-hat wearing gentle bear of a man.  James needled me all weekend, some over my choice of abstract painting (which he finds uninspiring as an art form), some about novel reading and long form journalism, but mostly through his life story.

It was not his intention to rattle me, that I know of, but only to share his life experiences, a litany of protests of what he knew to be injustices in this world.  Making his voice heard.  He told me about times when people who would handcuff themselves together under the ground to prevent oil trucks from getting through, or people building nests that would topple the sitters to their death, should they be disassembled.  He, and these people, believed so strongly in what they were protesting that they risked discomfort, jailing, and even bodily harm.

He asked me about my protest history.  I said, somewhat self-consciously, that I had none.  There are things I am certainly alarmed about in this world.  Climate change.  Persistent and growing inequities.  Forest degradation.  Food deserts.  Overuse of natural resources.  Rising sea levels.  Violence.  Hatred.  War.  But it has never occurred to me to join a march or protest.  Occasionally I'll sign a petition, but I wouldn't say I've been very active in speaking these concerns.  I hadn't wondered about that choice in awhile, since college when I used to read the New York Times in the dining hall and wring my hands, but now I was forced into wondering again.

When I came home (unsurprisingly, as the universe seems to like to push its issues sometimes), I found an article in Yes Magazine, detailing the arrest and further activism of Tim DeChristopher, who interceded in a auction of oil and gas leases on federal lands, and landed himself in prison for 21 months and a fine of $10,000.  In this article, he said damningly, "Certainly a lot of the blame falls on fossil fuel executives and politicians, but a lot of it falls on comfortable liberals who changed their light bulbs, bought organic, and sat back and patted themselves on the back."  He was directing this comment at the baby boomer generation, but is that not what I am doing?  And then, the call to action, "This is why I think activism right now is so critical.  The only thing inevitable about our future is that the status quo cannot continue."

To be clear, I am not running out to chain myself to anything.  To get myself thrown in jail.  I think activism can look many different ways.  But I do wonder if I am too comfortable resting on my easy liberal lifestyle choices.  I do wonder what my voice sounds and looks like, amplified.

An easy place to explore this question seems to be where I have influence: in the classroom.  In fact, a crucial part of the Two Rivers mission reads, "To nurture a diverse group of students...to become responsible and compassionate members of society."  Responsible and compassionate.  How can I instill that in this next generation?  They need opportunities to be responsible and compassionate.  They need to read the stories of those who have come before them, know the issues that lay ahead, and know how to amplify their voice.  So that is now my challenge to explore.  It is not that I have done nothing, and not that I plan on any particular forms of flagellation, but this weekend galvanized me into Q&A with myself about how else I can participate more fully in this world, in a way that is positive and nurturing.

So where does the mindfulness piece fit in?  There is an element of Buddhism that can be misinterpreted, so that people believe they should sit back and calmly watch the world fall to shit, from a place of non attachment.  To not judge and not get angry and not care.  But that's off the mark.  On the contrary, I think one must dive in and engage with the world from a place of compassion and openness.  Must act from a place of loving kindness.  But most importantly, must act.


No comments:

Post a Comment